Online Roulette Rules »
Roulette is one of the most popular gambling games and it is one of the oldest casino games. It looks complicated, but in actual fact it’s a pretty simple, interesting and exciting game. It also offers the chance of big wins, especially if you are betting on single numbers. Roulette’s popularity is based on the fact that it is accessible for players of any skill level, from beginner to an expert. So whether you have a favorite number or have masterminded a foolproof system this is a game to enjoy.
There are two main types of roulette, European (single zero) and American (double zero). The European Roulette table has a spinning wheel divided in 37 slots. The slots are numbered from 0 to 36. Each number on the wheel can be either red or black, except for number zero that is green. The American Roulette spinning wheel instead is divided in 38 slots similar to the European Roulette, with the addition of the “00” which also comes in green.
In order to win at this game players have to predict on which number of the wheel the ball will land. The combination of bets is numerous but for convenience divided as:
- Inside bets - betting on a number or range of numbers. These bets carry the highest odds.
- Outside bets - betting on black or red, odd or even, high or low, betting on columns and rows of numbers. The most simple bets such as red or black offer even money (1:1 payouts), higher odds are paid for column or row bets.
Most online casinos will offer a number of additional betting options that allow players to bet on specific combinations with a variety of odds. It’s definitely worth checking out the special bets available. Frequently these will pop out from a link within the game.
There are copious different types of bets that players can stake:
- Straight up bet - a bet on a single number. The payoff is 35 to 1.
- Split bet - player places a bet on two neighbouring squares. The payoff is 17 to 1.
- Street bet - player places a bet on three neighbouring numbers. Consequently chip must be placed on the outer edge of the row. The payoff is 11 to 1.
- Six Line bet - allows player to make two street bets (six neighbouring numbers). The payoff is 5 to 1.
- Corner bet - player places a bet on four neighbouring squares. The payoff is 8 to 1.
- Dozens - identifiable on the left hand side of the betting table these are three squares which represent the outcomes from 1 to 12, 13 to 24 and 25 to 36. The payoff is 2 to 1, it is also called a double bet.
- Colours – The betting on red or black takes place on the left hand side of the table, just look out for the two colored squares. The payoff is 1 to 1, it is an even bet.
- Odd and Even – This bet is also found on the left hand side of the table, players can place a bet on one of the two squares - odd or even. The payoff is 1 to 1, it is an even bet.
- High and Low - Players place a bet on the two squares indicating either 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 and are effectively betting on a large group of numbers. The payoff is 1 to 1, it is an even bet.
- Columns - Players placing a bet on the three squares at the bottom of the betting table are playing 12 numbers at a time. Columns usually have "2:1" written inside the square. When placing this bet the entire column of numbers above is played. The payoff is, you guessed it, 2 to 1.