Top 3 Online Poker Games to Play in 2018
Poker is one of those classics that's always likely to stay popular with both experienced and amateur gamblers thanks to its perfect mix of skill, luck and personality. The huge potential wins probably help as well. While you can certainly win big at online poker and even forge a career out of it if you're good enough, it's a thrilling and satisfying game to play regardless of whether there's money involved.
Having said that, there's more than one type of game and finding one you like (or one that isn't too complicated if you're just starting out) can be a little bit intimidating. Don’t worry though: whether you're just dipping your feet into the world of online poker or are already familiar with a few types of the game but are looking for something new, here's a rundown of the best poker games to play in 2018.
7 card Stud is actually one of the most traditional forms of poker there is and it has surged in popularity in recent years too. There are quite a few variations on the rules, so it will depend which particular online casino you play at, but the basics are as follows:
How to Play
- Each player is dealt three cards, with two face up. This is also known as Third Street.
- The first round of betting starts, usually with the player who has the lowest upcard.
- After the first round of betting, all players are dealt another round of face-up cards (also called Fourth Street).
- A second round of betting starts. If any players have a pair in their face-up cards, then betting at multiples is allowed, at the highest or lowest stake of the table.
- There are two more rounds of cards single face-up cards dealt, followed by another round of betting (Fifth and Sixth Street).
- The final round called the River starts and players are given one final face-down card.
- Next is the Showdown, where all players reveal their cards, with the best five-card hand taking the pot.
2. Open Faced Chinese Poker
It's a little less common than many other forms, but Open Faced Chinese Poker is quickly gaining traction in the online community. Here's how to play:
How to Play
- Each player takes it in turns to draw a card from the deck. No bets are taken, but games are played by a points system agreed by players.
- All player cards are arranged into three decks: top, middle and bottom.
- Players then compare all their hands, which are then scored and compared as standard poker hands.
- The highest scoring hand then wins. Note that the point system can be changed to make it harder or easier to make a scoring hand, although many online games will have this fixed to a degree.
1. Texas Hold'em
If you mention poker to someone, chances are they'll have heard of Texas Hold'em. It's just as popular today as it's ever been. Not only that, it's very easy to find Texas Hold'em games as almost all online casinos have them in one form or another. The basics are as follows:
How to Play
- Each player is dealt two face-down cards, followed by a round of betting.
- Once betting has finished, three shared cards get dealt face up in the middle of the table. This is also called the flop.
- Another round of betting follows the flop.
- A fourth card (also called the turn) is dealt, followed by another round of betting.
- The fifth and final card, (called the River) is dealt and followed by a final round of betting.
- The goal is to make the best possible five-card hand from the flop and your face-down cards, which are also called hole cards.
While the above games are definitely some of the most interesting and fun variants of poker to play this year, there are many more. Pot Limit Omaha is worth a mention, mainly because if you want to win big, this is the game to play thanks to the potentially massive pots. There's also 8-Game Mixed, which is a favourite of professional players.
There are lots of varieties of this though, making it quite complicated. Whatever type of poker you prefer, it's always worth remembering that you can enjoy a good game without having to wager anything. If you're just starting then this is even more applicable – find poker sites that let you play free hands to get the hang of it.
Recommended Poker Sites
Get your 100% up to $700 + $40 in tickets
100% Welcome Bonus up to $888 + No Deposit Bonus of $8
C$1,000 Welcome Bonus
Deposit $20, receive up to $100 in Free Play
bet365 Poker - Welcome Package of up to €365
Stay In The Loop With New Casino Sites & Offers!
Free Spins. Exclusive Bonuses. Sent Weekly.