Festival Plate Handicap Chase Trends - Cheltenham Betting
BEST 2020 CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PLATE TRENDS
- Won no more than 5 chases
- Won no more than 2 handicap chases, if any
- Carrying at least 5lb less than the top weight
- Within 3lbs of highest chase handicap rating
- Never won a Cheltenham chase before
Betting On Cheltenham's 2020 Festival Plate? Follow These Trends:
Above are THE top five trends to follow when looking for the winner of the 2020 Cheltenham Festival Plate.
We've analysed in detail the last 15 runnings of this handicap chase, taking deep dives into the form of the winners and placed horses, looking at their past runs, their ratings, and every other statistic we could think of.
What we found are very strong markers that will steer you towards the winner of this year's Festival Plate. Scroll down to find out how the trends did last year, and read full details of all the Festival Plate trends to follow, beyond the top five.
Get the latest Festival Plate Handicap Chase Odds here
Did Trends Win The Last Festival Plate Handicap Chase?
The 2019 Festival Plate Handicap Chase trends circled three horses, including the third and fourth - priced at 6/1 and 10/1 in the Cheltenham betting.
Aged seven and eight, Spiritofthegames and Eamon An Cnoic were lightly raced over fences, and had run at Cheltenham without winning. They had also won at the right courses, while not wining more than two handicap chases - a key trend across the last 15 years (see below).
Eamon An Cnoic had the more attractice weight and rating, coming in below the average handicap mark for any of the last 40 horses to finish in the first four (see placed trends below).
Didero Vallis, the final trends pick, was also very lightly-weighted and shared a similar profile, but finished fifth at odds of 16/1.
The winner Siruh Du Lac carried little weight at 10st 8lb, but appeared far too exposed, having won five handicap chases. The six-year-old also bust a massive trend; he had won a chase at Cheltenham.
KEY FESTIVAL PLATE HANDICAP CHASE TRENDS
The last 15 winners…
- Carried at least 5lb less than the top weight
- Were officially rated no higher than 147
- Finished in the first four in one of their last five races
14 of the last 15 winners…
- Had never won a chase at Cheltenham before
The last 10 winners…
- Had won no more than five chases
- Were running off a career-high handicap mark, or no more than 3lbs lower
- Finished in the first two in one of their last three starts
- Last ran in a novice chase or handicap chase
- Had won on a course described as galloping
Nine of the last 10 winners…
- Were aged 6-9
- Had won no more than two handicap chases, 3 winning none
- Featured sixth or lower in the weights, carrying 10st 13lb or less
- Had won a chase over a distance of at least 2m3f - exception won over 2m2f, and placed second over further
Eight of the last 10 winners…
- Had won over fences on a left-handed course
- Had run at least three times that season, six winning
- Last ran no more than 70 days ago
- Were officially rated no higher than 142
The last six winners...
- Were officially rated 140 or higher
- Carried 10st 8lb or more
The last 40 win and place positions
40/40 placed horses
- Finished in the first two in one of their last three starts
- Were largely aged eight or older - 13 aged 8 exactly, 9 aged 10 or older
- Had an average official handicap rating of 140 - three rated 150 or higher featuring
- Had won at least one chase
39/40 placed horses
- Had run up to seven times that season
- Last ran no more than 120 days ago
38/40 placed horses
- Had won no more than four handicap chases, 11 winning none
KEY RACE TRENDS (10 years)
(Last Graded chase contested before Festival Plate)
|Key Race||Dist.||Racecourse||Month||Winners||Placed Finishers|
|BetVictor Gold Cup (G3)||2m4.5f||Cheltenham||November||Ballynagour (2014)||Eamon An Cnoic (2019), Bouvreuil (2017), Kings Palace (2016), Buywise (2015)|
|Caspian Caviar Gold Cup (G3)||2m5f||Cheltenham||December||Salut Flo (2012)||Ballyalton (2018), Colour Squadron (2014), Johns Spirit (2014), Divers (2012), From Dawn To Dusk (2010)|
|Fairlawne Handicap Chase (G3)||2m5f||Cheltenham||January||Darna (2015)||Splash Of Ginge (2018)|
|Crest Nicholson Handicap Chase (G3)||2m5f||Cheltenham||January||Siruh Du Lac (2019)||Janika (2019), King’s Odyssey (2018), Tartak (2013), Mister McGoldrick (2010)|
|Paddy Power Chase (Grade B)||3m||Leopardstown||December||None||Beautiful Sound (2011)|
KEY TRAINER TRENDS (10 years)
How Siruh Du Lac won 2019's Festival Plate Handicap Chase
Bucking trends galore, Siruh Du Lac made all the running to win the 2019 Festival Plate Handicap Chase for jockey Lizzie Kelly and trainer Nick Williams.
The six-year-old had won a valuable trial at the course in January to record his fifth handicap chase success, but still had just 10st 8lb to carry thanks to Kelly's 3lb claim.
No Cheltenham chase winner had ever landed the tricky handicap, but there was no stopping Siruh Du Lac as he powered to a facile victory over old foe Janika, the gallant top weight.
4.10 CHELTENHAM - 2019 Festival Plate Handicap Chase Result
- Siruh Du Lac 9/2
- Janika 3/1f
- Spiritofthegames 6/1
- Eamon An Cnoic 10/1
Janika carried 1lb shy of topweight when beaten a head by Siruh Du Lac in January, and had been raised 6lbs in the handicap since. Nevertheless, his three-quarter length second under that weight at the Festival was a remarkable feat for a French-bred in his first season in Britain, and he went on to shoulder the same burden to fourth in the Topham Handicap Chase over the National fences at Aintree.
Lightly-raced novice Spiritofthegames was a further two and a quarter lengths back in third, with Eamon An Cnoic, who had been been fifth in the BetVictor Gold Cup at the track last November, taking fourth.
Cheltenham 2020 Thursday Schedule
14:50 Ryanair Chase trends
15:30 STAYERS' HURDLE trends
16:10 - Festival Plate Handicap Chase
Recommended Betting Sites
Deposit NZ$50, Get a NZ$50 Free Bet
Deposit NZ$10, Get a NZ$10 Free Bet
Deposit NZ$10, Get NZ$30 in Free Bets Promo Code: 30FB
Deposit NZ$50, Get NZ$50 in Free Bets
Deposit NZ$100, Get NZ$100 in Free Bets
Deposit NZ$10, Get a NZ$15 Free Bet
Open Account Offer - Up to $100 in Bet Credits for New Customers at Bet365
Deposit NZ$20, Get a NZ$20 Free Bets + 100 Free Spins
Deposit NZ$20, Get a NZ$20 Free Bet
Deposit NZ$20, Get a NZ$20 Free Bet Promo Code: WELCOMEFREEBET
Stay In The Loop With Free Bets, Insider Tips & More!
Live Betting. Sports Promos. Sent Weekly.