23 Sep 2020
Online Slots Strategy
100% Welcome Bonus up to £400 + 50 Bonus Spins
18+. New players only. One bonus offer per player. Minimum deposit £20. Max bonus bet is £5. Bonus spins on selected games only and must be used within 72 hours. Winnings from Bonus spins credited as bonus funds and capped at £100. Bonus funds must be used within 30 days otherwise any unused bonus shall be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £400 on your 1st deposit, 40% match up to £3000 on your 2nd deposit, and 60% match up to £1500 on your 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 35x wagering the total bonus & cash. Only bonus funds contribute towards any wagering requirements. Terms apply. BeGambleAware.org
100 up to £300 + 100 Spins
18+. New players only. Min Deposit £20. Max Bonus bet £5. Winnings from spins capped at £50. 100 Zee spins valid on starburst (first 10 credited immediately upon first deposit; rest credited at 07:00 GMT at 10/day). Spins must be used by 23:59 GMT of the day on which they are credited to player account, any unused shall be removed. Bonus funds must be used within 30 days. Bonus funds are seperate to cash funds, and subject to 35x wagering (bonus + cash). Full terms apply. Begambleaware.org
200% Welcome Bonus up to £500 Promo Code: TUKC
1st deposit only • £20 min deposit • Valid for selected games • Bonus wins capped at £500 • 50x wagering -req. vary by game • Bonus expires in 21 days • Withdrawal terms & full T&Cs apply. 18+, New players only. BeGambleAware.org
- Full Terms Apply
Every online gambler deserves a safe and fair place to play. Our mission at Gambling.com is to create a safe online environment for players through free, impartial and independent reviews of the UK's best online gambling companies so that you can play with confidence and security. All ratings and reviews are made independently of the operator by our team of gaming experts and with every company being fully UK licensed they can be trusted to offer fair play. We accept compensation from the companies advertised on this page and this may affect the brand positioning. We endeavour to continuously update this list so we can bring you the most current sites and the best available offers but we cannot review every site in the market.
To those who aren't regular players, the idea of adopting a strategy for playing online slots may seem rather far-fetched. But planning an approach and picking through the vast array of gameplay styles and payouts is crucial to any player's chances of making a profit. It's also one of the most exciting elements of playing slots online.
The first step in devising a strategy is to dispose of unhelpful gamblers' fallacies and debunk out-of-date myths. After disposing of these old adages, it's time to get rational and understand the system most suited for your playing style. The last steps include selecting a machine and managing your money.
Slots Strategy Articles
There are countless fallacies floating around online slot play deterring players from maximising their winnings. Here are a few common fallacies to avoid:
- 'I'm due a win' | Online slots, and most live slots, are based on number generators with set probabilities. Each spin exists independently of the previous one so, whether a player is at the tail end of a losing streak or riding high on a string of wins, the chances of a win line are the same every spin.
- 'It's ready to pay' | Watching progressive jackpots get higher, or looking for popular games, won't make a difference to the chances of a payout (unless an online casino runs a special offer). Gone are the days of lurking around a corner while an unwitting punter fills a machine. A built-in house edge determines the odds, not the weight of the money in a machine.
- 'I know a cheat' | Casinos used to hum with rumours of cheeky cheats. Hitting spin when you have three nudges, never holding two Sevens, and dozens more. Nowadays, teams of testers prevent these flaws from getting through: so be very dubious of any such tips.
Old slot strategies may have worked once, but the vast majority have now been consigned to the annals of casino history by technological advances. Strategies that should now be avoided include:
- Lurking | Watching a player on a machine, and jumping in if they leave empty handed. This may have worked when slots paid out when they were full, but now they're just random number generators (RNGs), and this strategy is redundant.
- Cheats | In the arcades of the '80s and '90s, there were always rumours of predictable patterns and cheats. Today's slots are big business and those bugs have been squashed.
- Hot/Cold Machines | The RNGs that power live slots are designed, as you'd expect, to be random. You might have a lucky streak, or an unlucky streak, but it really is just luck.
Asking these questions will help players decide the playing style they most prefer:
- Are you patient?
- Do you want to spend big?
- How long do you want each gaming session to last?
Patient players with a large pot and no particular desire to play for long stints may find themselves better suited to big jackpot games. Look for franchise slots like Marvel, which generally offer progressive jackpots. Alternatively, consider seeking games that have more generous but less frequent payout lines. Players who can survive long droughts without panicking are usually in line for the biggest wins.
Impatient players are better suited to slots with regular, though normally less generous, wins. These types of game tend to offer numerous low-to-medium priced win lines that crop up often, and throw in lots of extras: Wilds and random awards, for example. A good sign of such games is that they have many lines or 'ways to win'. Those craving a big win from this style should seek games that offer better win multiples when the stakes are raised.
Low pot players with time to enjoy their game sessions are advised to look for generous bonus features and regular (albeit low) payouts from their slots. The big money tends to come from the bonuses more than huge jackpots, but players won't earn this in every bonus game run. That means earnings are built over a slightly longer period of time, but money can easily be chipped away while you wait.
Because machines are pre-programmed with a hold percentage (like a house edge), they are guaranteed to take a certain percentage of total stakes in the long run. There's no way to change that, but there are strategies to make the most of your winnings in the short term. The first step is choosing the right machine.
- Video Slots | like online slots, these boast video versions of the old slot machine reels and often have bonus games and special features in addition to win lines. These add an element of fun and complexity, and they often have regular payouts.
- Jackpot Slots | like a video slot, but with fewer fancy games and clearer win lines. Though perhaps less 'fun' than more complicated slots, they're great for those who are trying to play the numbers or experiment with money management strategies. They usually have higher and less frequent payouts than video slots.
- Progressive Slots | these cream off a percentage of each wager to add to a cumulative jackpot, taken from several linked machines. That means payouts are even less regular, but there's always the chance of one massive win. Some machines allow players to wager one, two or three coins, and only offer the jackpot to those putting in top stakes, so make sure you're in with a chance of winning the jackpot before playing these.
- Tournaments | In big casinos, machines can be connected to run a tournament in which a group of players must play through a fixed amount of credits within a set time limit. Winnings are set aside into a pot, and the biggest pot wins. Speed and focus are crucial, as many people fail to make the most of all their credits.
If you do decide to go it alone, it's easy to get drawn into the fallacies of gambling. The best way to maximise your money and leave with some winnings is to set yourself a system of cash limits that dictate your play.
For example, setting aside £25 for 100 spins on a 25p/spin slot. The more spins you allow for, the greater the chance of hitting a big jackpot. However, switching machines when you're up, or putting aside all winnings, is a good way to hang on to profits and potentially end the day with money in your pocket.
Of course, these are just general approaches. The key to any system is knowing how the slots work, deciding how much to stake and sticking to it. There's no quicker way to empty a pot than panicking and falling back into the gamblers' fallacies. If you think you are ready to hone your new found skills and try some of the best slots on the market then we have what you need on our Free Slots page that allows you to play for free and find the slots that suit you best.
Slots Strategy Articles