Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle Tips: 2022 Betting Preview & Trends
Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle tips vary greatly because this is one of the most competitive handicap hurdles run anywhere all season. It takes place on Gold Cup Day at the Festival, when Cheltenham Offers are in plentiful supply for keen punters.
The Martin Pipe was established in 2009 in honour of the master trainer who saddled 34 Cheltenham Festival winners and is the only hurdles race at the Festival restricted to conditional jockeys.
Irish-trained horses have dominated this race in recent years, especially those from the Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott stables. When reviewing the odds at the best horse racing betting sites, you'll see a number of Elliott and Mullins runners at relatively short prices for this one.
Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle Runners in Focus
Here's a detailed look at some of the top contenders for the Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle at the 2022 Cheltenham Festival.
Mullins Strong Again
Willie Mullins has won the Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle four times and he is not short on potential winners among the entries once again in 2022.
Adamantly Chosen has attracted some support. He posted a big number when opening his hurdles account at Thurles and could easily be better than his allotted mark. Drying ground would be a big boost to his prospects.
Hollow Games, meanwhile, is already proven over this trip and further, as well as on a variety of ground conditions.
Elliott has a number of interesting entries for this race, not least I A Connect, who hasn’t been seen since edging home by a narrow margin at Punchestown in November. He will be well-suited to a step back up in trip for the Martin Pipe and will be a fresh horse, which makes him dangerous.
Read More: Cheltenham Gold Cup tips
Could Dan Be The Man?
Langer Dan got within two-and-a-half-lengths of Galopin Des Champs in this race in 2021 and trainer Dan Skelton appears to have based his entire winter campaign around having this horse at his peak for a repeat bid. Only 2lb higher now, he will be spot-on fitness-wise after a run at Taunton in February so has to be strongly considered.
Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle Odds
|Langer Dan||5/1 with 888sport|
|Hollow Games||6/1 with bet365|
|Adamantly Chosen||7/1 with 888sport|
|Five O'Clock||9/1 with BetVictor|
|Banbridge||12/1 with 888sport|
- Odds correct as of 18/03/2022 - For full latest odds head over to 888sport
Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle Trends
- Age focus: Of the 13 editions of this race, 11 have been won by a horse aged five or six. The other two winners were seven-year-olds, so avoid older contenders when deciding how to pick a winning horse here.
- Swerve favourites: Only one favourite has won the Martin Pipe and that was way back in 2011. Seven of the last 10 winners had a double-figure SP.
- Weighty matters: Horses towards the bottom end of the handicap have a terrible record on this. Every Martin Pipe winner carried at least 11st and the last four winners carried 11st 9lb or more.
- Irish dominance: Six of the last eight winners were trained in Ireland. Willie Mullins has won it four times in total, most recently with Galopin Des Champs in 2021.
- Proven winners: Every Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle winner had already won at least one race under rules.
- Trip note: 11 of the 13 winners had already run at least once over two-and-a-half miles.
Recent Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle Winners
|2021||Galopin Des Champs|
|2018||Blow By Blow|
|2016||Ibis du Rheu|
Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle Verdict
This looks about as competitive as it gets, with a strong blend of unexposed contenders from powerful stables and proven big-field handicap hurdle performers.
Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle trends tell us that short-priced runners tend to get turned over, so that has to be taken into account.
Recommended Betting Sites
€30 In Free Bets + €10 Casino Bonus When you place your first bet of €10+
100% Welcome Bonus Up To €100 With Your First Deposit + 20 Free Spins
100% up to 100€ for your first deposit
Bet €10 Get €10
100% Sports Bonus up to €100
Bet €10 get €30 in Free Bets
Bet €10 & Get €50 in Free Bets
300% Up To €5000 Welcome Bonus
200% up to €1500 Over Three Deposits
100% Welcome Bonus up to €100
Stay In The Loop With Free Bets, Insider Tips & More!
Live Betting. Sports Promos. Sent Weekly.