MLB Betting: Best Wagering Options for Aug. 22
Throughout the season, we will give you betting advice for a National League and American League game each day and throw in a few quick pitches for player prop bets, Over-Under bets or moneyline bets on other games.
Interleague Best Bet
Miami Marlins -135 at Oakland Athletics +125
9:40 p.m. ET
The Oakland Athletics have the worst winning percentage in MLB. However, not every team loses them all and many times, we get excellent pricing with these bad teams.
The Miami Marlins have collapsed since the All-Star break and are not playing much better than the A’s are right now, except when NL CY Young Award favorite Sandy Alcantara is on the hill. But he's not pitching tonight.
Situational Trends and Angles
The following situational trends and angles support a best bet on the A’s in this matchup.
- The Marlins are 7-24, losing 16 units on the moneyline, when facing an AL team that is batting .260 or lower over the past two seasons.
- The Marlins are 25-45, losing 18 units on the moneyline, when facing an opponent with a bullpen WHIP of 1.35 or lower this season.
- The Marlins are 5-14, losing 11 units on the moneyline, following two games after their bullpen threw nine or more innings this season.
I will bet Athletics using the moneyline priced at +125 as offered at BetMGM.
National League Best Bet
Milwaukee Brewers +130 at Los Angeles Dodgers -140
10:10 p.m. ET
The Los Angeles Dodgers are the best team in baseball with an 82-36 record, producing just a 5% ROI because they are averaging a -180 moneyline wager.
However, they have been spectacular on the -1.5 run line, earning a 73-45 record for a 24% ROI.
The Milwaukee Brewers are in the thick of the NL Central playoff race and wild card races. Yet, they are 64-56, averaging a -134 moneyline wager, resulting in a 12% ROI.
Despite the Brewers ace Corbin Burnes on the mound, they find themselves appropriately priced as underdogs.
Situational Trends and Angles
The following situational betting trends and angles support a bet on the Dodgers in this matchup.
- The Dodgers are 16-2, making 14.2-units on the moneyline, when facing an NL team that is batting .245 or worse.
- The Dodgers are 21-5, making 14 units on the moneyline, when facing a starter that has posted a 1.15 or lower WHIP.
- The Dodgers are 33-7, making 20 units on the moneyline, when facing a team that averages seven or more strikeouts per game in the second half of this season.
I will bet the Dodgers on the moneyline at -140, as offered at FanDuel.
Here are some player prop bets to consider on today’s schedule.
- Bet the Phillies’ Bryson Stott to get 2+ hits +300 at FanDuel.
- Bet the Braves’ Jake Odorizzi to earn the win –200 at BetMGM.
- Bet the Dodgers’ Will Smith to have 3+ hits +1500 at FanDuel.
- Bet the Angels’ Mike Trout to hit a home run +380 and PointsBet.
Be first to get our exclusive offers!
Join today to stay up to date on your states gambling news and offers.