MLS Betting Advice: Teams Making Big Moves in Conference Standings
After some midweek action in the MLS and the U.S. Open Cup, the MLS is back with important games on the schedule this weekend.
Both conference leaders picked up a win during the week, and the Philadelphia Union and New York City slipped up again, and it makes this one of the most interesting weeks of the 2022 season.
We’ve put together our soccer betting advice for this weekend’s action.
Game of the Week
Montreal +290 at LA Galaxy -130
Montreal made a big move in the Eastern Conference on Thursday when it defeated the Seattle Sounders 2-1 at Seattle. It leaves the Canadian side on top of the table in what was its ninth win of the season.
The LA Galaxy dropped down into sixth after a loss to Minnesota United. What's more, after losing to the Sacramento Republic in the U.S Open Cup last week, the Galaxy has one win in their past four games.
The Galaxy defeated Austin 4-1 in what was arguably their best performance of the season just four games ago, but against Montreal, they are big underdogs. However, Greg Vanney’s team cannot afford to drop any more points, and it makes this game a lot more interesting than the sportsbooks are making out, and given the form of Montreal, they’re certainly worth considering as a bet this weekend.
Montreal to beat LA Galaxy 2-0 is +2000 with DraftKings.
Best Bet of the Week
LAFC +100 at Vancouver Whitecaps +400
Los Angeles FC kept its winning form during the week with another victory over FC Dallas. LAFC has won five straight MLS games.
It travels to Vancouver to take on the Whitecaps this weekend and although Vancouver has been on the rise in the past few weeks, it remains 11th in the Western Conference, 15 points behind LAFC.
The Whitecaps tied with the New England Revolution on home soil last time out, and we don't see how they're going to be able to stop LAFC with it looking so unstoppable at this stage in the season.
LAFC is +1200 to beat Vancouver with FanDuel.
Team of the Week Last Week
If you’re being voted as the best team in the league of the past week when you’re sitting bottom of the overall table before the game, you must have done something very notable. Chicago Fire did that, beating Philadelphia 1-0 to move up to 33rd in the overall table.
Chicago was not favored to win the game, and it was Federico Navarro who scored the only goal that secured all three points. Better yet, the Fire saw 57% of ball possession and had six more shots than the Union.
It was a massive result for head coach, Ezra Hendrickson, and with it, he has eased the pressure on Chicago heading into another must-win game against San Jose Earthquakes.
Chicago Fire is +1100 to beat SJ Earthquakes 1-0 this week with DraftKings.
Player of the Week Last Week
Brenner, FC Cincinnati
While the Fire stole the headlines by beating the MLS Cup hopefuls Philadelphia Union, Cincinnati star Brenner got our player of the week from last week’s action.
Brenner scored a hat-trick in the thrilling 4-4 tie with NYCFC in his last game. What makes this more impressive is how Brenner had previously only scored one goal all season, and with New York conceding only 13 times in 15 games before the match, the Brazilian is an easy choice as the best player of the past week.
Brenner to score against the New England Revolution anytime is +320 with FanDuel.
Hardest Game to Call
Philadelphia Union +200 at Columbus Crew +130
After slipping off of top spot in the Eastern Conference, the Union travels to Ohio where Columbus Crew awaits them. The Crew themselves are in desperate need of all three points in this game to reignite their playoff hopes, as they currently sit ninth and three points adrift of the playoff spots.
Philadelphia needs a good performance here after losing to Chicago. What’s more, the Union is still level on points with first-place Montreal, so a win could well fire them right back to the top of the division.
Columbus’ last loss was to LAFC in May. The Crew has had two wins and two ties since. It makes this game tough to call, and we’re predicting another tie.
A tie in this game is +235 with DraftKings.
These are some other bets worth a look on this week’s schedule:
- Houston Dynamo to beat Charlotte 1-0, 2-0 or 3-0 is +275 at BetMGM.
- Real Salt Lake to score first against Minnesota United is +130 at PointsBet.
- Seattle Sounders to win 2-1 at Toronto is +950 at FanDuel.
- SJ Earthquakes to beat Chicago and over 2.5 goals is +200 at DraftKings.
- New York City to beat Atlanta United at halftime and full time is +130 at Caesars.
- LAFC ↔
- Philadelphia Union ↑
- Seattle Sounders ↑
- New York City FC ↓
- Austin FC ↑
This Week’s Schedule with Moneylines (All Times Eastern)
- Seattle Sounders (+140) at Toronto (+160), 7:30 p.m.
- Vancouver Whitecaps (+230) at LAFC (+100), 10 p.m.
- Atlanta United (+400) at New York City (-180), 5 p.m.
- Philadelphia Union (+200) at Columbus Crew (+130), 7:30 p.m.
- Cincinnati (+430) at New England Revolution (-200), 7:30 p.m.
- New York Red Bulls (+150) at Sporting Kansas City (+155), 8 p.m.
- Real Salt Lake (+210) at Minnesota United (+105), 8 p.m.
- Portland Timbers (+330) at Nashville (-140), 8:30 p.m.
- Charlotte (+240) at Houston Dynamo (+100), 8:30 p.m.
- Chicago Fire (+100) at San Jose Earthquakes (+230), 9 p.m.
- D.C. United (+250) at Orlando City (+110), 7 p.m.
- Inter Miami (+440) at FC Dallas (-185), 9 p.m.
- Austin (+320) at Colorado Rapids (-140), 9 p.m.
- Montreal (+290) at LA Galaxy (-135), 10:30 p.m.
Be first to get our exclusive offers!
Join today to stay up to date on your states gambling news and offers.