Matthew Stafford, Joe Burrow Favored to Win Super Bowl MVP

Author Image Article By Larry Henry GDC - Icon - Black - Info
Date IconLast Updated: 
Share On Your Network
Matthew Stafford, Joe Burrow Favored to Win Super Bowl MVP
© USA Today

In the 55 Super Bowl games so far, quarterbacks have won the MVP award 31 times. This year, the NFL betting odds favor another quarterback claiming that honor.

The two starting quarterbacks leading their teams into Super Bowl Sunday in a couple of weeks are the top candidates favored to win the Most Valuable Player award in the NFL’s 56th title game.

The Los Angeles Rams’ Matthew Stafford entered the week at -110 to win the award, positioning the former Georgia Bulldog as the favorite, according to DraftKings Sportsbook.

Another ex-SEC standout, Joe Burrow of the Cincinnati Bengals, is the next-highest favorite, at +210. Burrow led the 2019 LSU Tigers to a national championship on his way to winning the Heisman Trophy.

Rams’ Home Field Site of Super Bowl

The Super Bowl on Feb. 13 pits the NFC champion Rams against the underdog Bengals, the AFC winner. The Rams opened as 4-point favorites, according to Caesars Sportsbook.

The Super Bowl is being played SoFi Stadium, about 20 minutes south of Los Angeles. SoFi is the Rams’ home field and the site of the team’s 20-17 comeback victory on Sunday against an in-state rival, the San Francisco 49ers, to claim the NFC title.

The Bengals won a spot in the Super Bowl after a dramatic come-from-behind victory in Kansas City’s Arrowhead Stadium against the favored Chiefs in the AFC title game.

‘Great Matchup’ Between Quarterbacks

The 33-year-old Stafford has received acclaim this year for a strong season, after spending about a decade in Detroit with the Lions and never making the Super Bowl.

The Bengals’ quarterback is eight years younger than Stafford and only in his second season. With his self-confidence and hard-nosed style of play, Burrow has become a fan favorite, especially in Louisiana among the LSU fan base.

Casey Lewless, sportsbook manager at Penn National’s Margaritaville and Boomtown riverboat casinos in Bossier City, Louisiana, told on Monday that the quarterback situation this year makes for great betting opportunities. The Penn National riverboats operate Barstool Sportsbooks.

“Great matchup,” Lewless said, “new kid on the block (Burrow), plus the Stafford story.”

Why Do Quarterbacks Win So Many Super Bowl MVP Awards?

One reason quarterbacks do well in Super Bowl MVP voting is that the format favors signal callers, according to the Athletic, an online sports site owned by the New York Times.

Of the total MVP vote, 80% comes from media members, with balloting taking place in the press box toward the end of the game, requiring the majority of votes to be locked in before the final horn. The other 20% of votes come from public ballots cast on

“If someone besides Stafford or Burrow is going to win the MVP, the game will need to be a blowout with the big plays occurring before the vote occurs late in the fourth quarter,” the Athletic reported.

Besides quarterbacks, the next highest number of Super Bowl MVP winners have come from the receiving and running back ranks, with seven each. This year’s Super Bowl features several receivers and running backs among the league’s best.

Super Bowl MVP Odds

MVP odds for the 56th Super Bowl:

Player Odds
Matthew Stafford -110
Joe Burrow +210
Cooper Kupp +650
Aaron Donald +1800
Ja’Marr Chase +1800
Odell Beckham Jr. +2000
Joe Mixon +3500
Tyler Higbee +4000
Cam Akers +4000
Tee Higgins +4000
Tyler Boyd +5000
Von Miller +5000
Jalen Ramsey +5000
Kendall Blanton +5000
C.J. Uzomah +10000
Van Jefferson +10000
Trey Hendrickson +10000
Evan McPherson +15000

The field is rounded out with several other players whose odds are +20000 or greater, including 29 players at +50000.

Updated by GDC - Icon - Black - Info

Larry Henry

Last Updated Icon

Last Updated:  

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Linkedin Icon Email Icon Copy Link Icon