Pelicans vs. Spurs Promises to Be Entertaining; How Should you Bet?
This matchup will be played with an entirely different look and feel than the last time these two teams met in the playoffs.
In the 2007-08 Conference semifinals, New Orleans (then-Hornets) led the series, 3 games to 2, then lost the next two games with the 91-82 loss in Game 7 at home. The Pelicans were 4-point home favorites and with a posted total of only 182 points in that final game.
The NBA has evolved and now many games have 182 or more points scored by the end of the third quarter. NBA betting is different these days.
Going into tonight, the Spurs rank eighth in scoring offense, averaging 113.2 points per game. The Pelicans rank 13 in scoring defense, allowing 110.3 points per game.
The Association scoring average was 110.6 points per game this season, down 1.5 points per game from last season's all-time high of 112.1 points per game.
Assist to Turnover Ratio Becomes Even More important in the NBA Playoffs
At 2.195 assist-to-turnover ratio, the Spurs are the best ball-handling team in the Association. The Pelicans are a distant 16th with a 1.775 assist-to-turnover ratio.
Both teams sport similar defensive assist to turnover ratios with the Spurs ranking 19th at 1.752 ratio and the Pelicans rank 11th with a 1.775 ratio. The significnat advantage in ball handling at both ends of the court side with the Spurs.
A few More Quick-Hitters Supporting the Spurs
- The Pelicans lost their last two games by a combined 48 points but were 9-4 over the previous 13 games.
- Jonas Valanciunas is the third player in Pelicans franchise history to have 50 double-doubles in a season. Chris Paul did it twice and Anthony Davis once.
- The Pelicans are 14-26 against the spread following two or more consecutive Over results in games played over the past two seasons.
- Spurs are 26-14-1 against the spread following a double-digit loss in games played over the last two seasons.
- The Spurs are 24-10-1 against the spread in the second half of each of the last two seasons when playing on the road.
My bet is on the Spurs plus the points, currently at 5.5 points.
Bonus Pick on Hornets vs. Hawks
In the first game tonight, the Atlanta Hawks and Charlotte Hornets play for the opportunity to face the Cleveland Cavaliers in a game that sets the No. 8 seed against the Miami Heat.
The total opened at 239.5 points and has steamed its way lower to a current price of 235 points
That total opens up an opportunity to bet the Over in this game.
The Hornets are 23-12-1 Over the posted total in a road game where the total has been 220 or more points in games played this season.
Be first to get our exclusive offers!
Join today to stay up to date on your states gambling news and offers.